Looking for healthy lunch ideas? This raw vegie salad is such an easy and tasty way to introduce raw vegetables into your diet on a daily basis.
Eating raw vegetables means that you’re receiving the full nutrient potential of that vegetable, as nothing is lost through the cooking process. Needless to say, selecting seasonal organic produce is ideal for this, but don’t be too worried about following the recipe to the letter – use anything you like from your crisper.
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- ¼ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large beetroot, julienned
- ½ zucchini, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ granny smith apple, julienned
- 3 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 handful of snow peas, strings removed, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 handful of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 pomegranate, cut in half
- Salt flakes and freshly ground peppe
- r4 tbsp birdseed mix (chia seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseeds or whatever you have in the pantry)
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped salted cashews
- 75 ml good-quality olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2 lemons
- Salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
To make the lemon dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste.
Add the lettuce, cabbage, beetroot, zucchini, onion, apple, radish, snow peas and parsley to a large bowl. Add the lemon dressing to taste and, using your hands, carefully toss.
Hit the back of each pomegranate half with a wooden spoon so that the juicy seeds pop out onto the salad. Season and gently toss.
Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and sprinkle the seed mix and cashews over the top before serving.
This recipe originally appeared in nourish magazine.
Want more healthy lunch ideas? Try this pumpkin and feta chicken salad.